Military Performance Training
Learn the Basics of Military Performance Training
Guest Blogger Sean Vander Veer breaks down the focus behind military performance training.
- Muscular endurance
- Muscular strength
- Anaerobic endurance
- Aerobic endurance
What the Program Consists Of
8 Principles of Training
- Specificity: How you train will correlate into your exercise response and chance at success.
- Overload: This is a demand placed on the body greater than it is accustomed to. In order to determine the overload, one must first evaluate the individual’s physiological variables (specificity) and then consider the following: frequency, intensity, and duration.
- Adaptation (Rest & Recovery): Adaptation to training occurs during periods of rest, when the body recovers from the training period that stressed the muscle and central nervous system. Adaption allows for growth.
- Progression: This is the change in overload (frequency, intensity, duration) in response to the advantages gained through the adaption phase.
- Plateau, Retrogression and Reversibility: The progress we make is rarely linear, predictable or consistent. Why we hit a plateau:
- Too much time spent doing the same type of workout using the same equipment in the same environment.
- Either too little or too much competition (frequency / duration)
- Plateaus are a normal consequence of a maintenance overload and may also occur normally, even during a well-designed, well-implemented step-loading progression
- When an individual’s adaptation or performance levels decrease, then retrogression has occurred. Retrogression may signal overreaching or over training during a program.
6. Maintenance: This is about sustaining an achieved adaptation with the most efficient use of time and effort. The individual will have reached an acceptable level of physical fitness or training and the amount of time and effort required to maintain this adaptation will depend on that person’s physiological abilities.
7. Individualization: Individuals require personalized exercise prescriptions based on their fitness levels and goals, and individuals will adapt differently to the same training program. The same training overload may improve physiological performance in one individual, maintain physiological and performance levels in the second individual, and result in performance decreases in the third.
I highly recommend you check out The Sustainable Sports Nutrition Academy …which is based on science! Not fads. You’ll learn how to put together the correct diet and fueling plan for YOU, based on your needs and goals. This program is a compilation of my 10+ years of experience that has helped many people enhance their health and performance, and make lasting changes- plus it includes a workout plan… Check out everything that’s included!
Contact me any time to schedule a free 15-minute consultation, so we can discuss your particular situation and goals.
To get started and learn more, click HERE to schedule your FREE no obligation consultation! I’d love to talk to you and find out more about your goals and show you how I can help you get better at your sport and /or get healthier. Virtual Consultations available in the comfort of your home!