Tactical Sports Nutrition
Ready to get tactical with sports nutrition?
This guest blog by Sean Vander Veer provides a meal plan for supporting the physical demands of military and first-responder careers.
The Power of Two–Protein and Carbohydrates
What Are My Calorie, Protein, and Carbohydrate Needs?
Sample Meal Plan
Training Day (Monday–Saturday)
- Calories 2500
- Carbohydrate (55%) – 340 grams = 1375 calories
- Protein (25%), 155 grams = 620 calories
- Fat (20%), 55 grams = 500 calories
Recovery Day (Sunday)
- Calories 2300
- Carbohydrate (55%), 315 grams = 1260 calories
- Protein (30%), 170 grams = 680 calories
- Fat (15%), 40 grams = 360 calories
- 6 AM-1 cup of Special K cereal with 1 cup of 1% milk, this could be considered your pre-workout meal, the carbohydrates from the milk and cereal will provide energy for the workout.
- 7 AM-workout
- 9 AM-Large eggs, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with jelly, and 1 cup of low fat chocolate milk, the protein and carbohydrate combination from the milk, eggs, and toast will help to refuel and rebuild your energy stores and muscles, making sure the tactical athlete is ready for the next task.
- 11 AM–Protein bar/shake
- 1 PM–Lunch, 1 cup pasta with 4 large shrimp, salad with 2 tsp of olive oil, 4-6 oz. grilled chicken, and 1 cup juice
- 3 PM–Gel pack, graham crackers with 1 tbs peanut butter, or 8-10 oz. of a sports drink such as Gatorade. This would be considered a pre-workout meal (taken 30-60 min prior to the afternoon training session).
- 4 PM–Training session
- 6 PM–Dinner, 6 oz. steak, 1 baked potato with 1 tbs butter, 2 cups vegetables and 1 cup 1% milk.
- 9 PM–Late night snack consisting of low fat chocolate milk and popcorn, or ½ to 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt with 1 cup fresh berries.
- *½ cup oatmeal with ½ cup fresh fruit, ¼ cup granola or maple syrup or 2 tbs honey with 2 turkey sausage links and 2 large eggs
- *2 cups rice/flake cereal such as special K, Honey nut cheerios, cheerios and 2 cups reduced fat milk with 2 large eggs
- *¾ cup oatmeal with ½ cup fresh fruit and 2 tbs honey or ¼ cup maple syrup, with 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg and 1 piece of toast with 2 tbs peanut butter
- *2 cups rice/flake cereal such as special K, cheerios, honey nut cheerios and 2 cups reduced fat milk, 2 turkey sausage links
- *Grilled chicken breast salad with low fat dressing
- *Lean protein with grilled vegetables
- *Open face burger–ask for a side of vegetables instead of the fries
- *Turkey sandwich
- Soup and salad combinations
- *Grilled/baked salmon with rice or potatoes
- *Pot Roast with carrots and potatoes, whole wheat roll and a piece of fruit
- *6-8 oz. Pork Tenderloin with 2 cups brown rice, 4-6 asparagus, squash, and 1 cup reduced fat milk and or juice.
- *6-8 oz. grilled chicken breast with 1 cup quinoa or 2 cups whole wheat pasta, 1 piece of fruit, green beans and carrots, and 1 cup milk or juice
- *Turkey burgers (2) open face (use 1 bun and split it for both patties), 1 sweet potato, 1 cup corn, 1 piece of fruit, and 1 cup reduced fat milk or juice
I highly recommend you check out The Sustainable Sports Nutrition Academy …which is based on science! Not fads. You’ll learn how to put together the correct diet and fueling plan for YOU, based on your needs and goals. This program is a compilation of Kristen’s 10+ years of experience that has helped many people enhance their health and performance, and make lasting changes- plus it includes a workout plan… Check out everything that’s included!
Contact Kristen any time to schedule a free 15-minute consultation, so we can discuss your particular situation and goals.