Hydration for Athletes – Determining Your Needs
Are you in tune with your thirst?
Most people are not, and many of my clients are not even drinking enough water just to sustain what they need in their daily life.
Because water makes up over 70% of our body, proper hydration affects everything from our metabolism, ability to digest food, think clearly and perform at our best. If you’re dehydrated by just 2%, that equates to a 20% reduction in performance! Imagine running 20% slower, or lifting 20% less than you normally can.
So you need to be sure you’re getting your hydration right, and getting into the habit of following a hydration schedule can make all the difference.
In this video, I discuss:
- an easy calculation based on your body weight to determine how much hydration you need on a daily basis, plus when you’re exercising and performing
- how to calculate what your sweat rate is
- knowing kind of sweater you are (heavy, light, salty)
- the importance of electrolytes, and my recommendation of products
- my tips for making water more appealing and easy to drink throughout the day
Learn more by watching the video!
Other resources referenced:
- How to Make Your Own Sports Drink
- Staying Hydrated: A Step-By-Step Approach to Calculating Sweat Rate
Are you an athlete and need a customized training or nutrition plan to support you in your sport?
Reach out to me and set up a free 15-minute consultation, so we can discuss your particular situation and fitness goals!
Want to read more about some incredible transformations my clients have had? Head on over to the testimonials page!