Are Diet Pills Worth It?
If you are reading this article you have either considered taking diet pills, are currently or have taken them or know someone who is and are concerned. Well truth be told, you should be concerned! Diet pills and dietary supplements (yes, even vitamins) are not all they are cracked up to be. On top of them not containing what they state, some supplements have been found to contain ingredients that are actually harmful to your health!
All types of people take diet pills, from those who just want to lose some quick pounds around the midsection for an upcoming event to bodybuilders who need to look absolutely shredded on stage. However, proper precautions need to take place when considering supplements like a diet pill. The best things you can do are:
- Don’t take diet pills! This is not a long term, sustainable approach to weight loss and you will wind up back where you started, or worse!
- Do your homework! If you are going to take pills/supplements, it is imperative that you research them before just popping them into your mouth. Counsumerlab.org is an independent lab that tests the ingredients in supplements- they are not paid by the supplement company so you can expect real, honest information.
Let’s dive a little deeper into the problems associated with diet pills!
Does not contain what is stated:
A recent article posted in the NY Times states that studies were conducted on popular store brands of herbal supplements at the retailers — Walmart, Walgreens, Target and GNC. Roughly four out of five of the products contained none of the herbs listed on their labels. In fact, many of the supplements contained little more than cheap fillers like rice and houseplants, or substances that could be hazardous to people with food allergies. Sounds amazing, right? You’re paying $5 a bottle for powered rice…woohoo!
Many of you know that the FDA does not get involved with testing supplements until there are enough adverse effects reported. Recently the FDA did get involved and tested over 70 diet pills and lab tests revealed the presence of the following substances: sibutramine, fenproporex, fluoxetine, bumetanide, furosemide, phenytoin, rimonabant, cetilistat, and phenolphthalein in weight loss products being sold over-the-counter. The tainted products are listed below in alphabetical order along with the undeclared drug and/or chemical ingredient. Check to see if you have taken or are considering taking any of the following:
- 2 Day Diet – sibutramine
- 2 Day Diet Slim Advance – sibutramine
- 2x Powerful Slimming – sibutramine
- 3 Day Diet – sibutramine
- 3 Days Fit – sibutramine
- 3x Slimming Power – sibutramine, phenytoin
- 5x Imelda Perfect Slimming – sibutramine
- 7 Day Herbal Slim – sibutramine
- 7 Days Diet – sibutramine
- 7 Diet – sibutramine
- 7 Diet Day/Night Formula – sibutramine
- 8 Factor Diet – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Eight Factor Diet – sibutramine
- 21 Double Slim – sibutramine
- 24 Hours Diet – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- 999 Fitness Essence – sibutramine
- BioEmagrecim, sample 1 – fenproporex
BioEmagrecim, sample 2 – fluoxetine, furosemide
- Body Creator – sibutramine
- Body Shaping – sibutramine
- Body Slimming – sibutramine
- Cosmo Slim – sibutramine
- Extrim Plus – sibutramine, phenytoin
- Extrim Plus 24 Hour Reburn – sibutramine
- Fasting Diet – sibutramine
- Fatloss Slimming – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- GMP – sibutramine
- Herbal Xenicol – cetilistat
- Imelda Fat Reducer – sibutramine
- Imelda Perfect Slim – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- JM Fat Reducer – sibutramine
- Lida DaiDaihua – sibutramine
- Meili – sibutramine
- Meizitang – sibutramine
- Miaozi MeiMiaoQianZiJiaoNang – sibutramine
- Miaozi Slim Capsules – sibutramine
- Natural Model – sibutramine
- Perfect Slim – sibutramine
- Perfect Slim 5x – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Perfect Slim Up – sibutramine
- Phyto Shape – rimonabant
- Powerful Slim – sibutramine
- ProSlim Plus – sibutramine
- Reduce Weihgt – sibutramine
- Royal Slimming Formula – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Sana Plus – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 Extra Slim Formula – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 Extra Slim Waist Formula – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 M18 Royal Diet – sibutramine
- Slim 3 in 1 Slim Formula – sibutramine
- Slim Burn – sibutramine
- Slim Express 4 in 1 – sibutramine
- Slim Express 360 – sibutramine
- *Slim Fast – sibutramine
- Slim Tech – sibutramine
- Slim Up – sibutramine
- Slim Waist Formula – sibutramine
- Slim Waistline – sibutramine
- Slimbionic- sibutramine
- Sliminate – sibutramine
- Slimming Formula – sibutramine
- Somotrim – sibutramine
- Starcaps – bumetanide
- Super Fat Burner – sibutramine
- Superslim – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
- Super Slimming – sibutramine
- Trim 2 Plus – sibutramine
- Triple Slim – sibutramine
- Venom Hyperdrive 3.0 – sibutramine
- Waist Strength Formula – sibutramine
- Xsvelten – sibutramine
- Zhen de Shou – sibutramine, phenolphthalein
I’m sure many of these substances you don’t even know what they are or what harmful effects they may cause so let me fill you in a little bit. How does significant fluid and electrolyte losses which can lead to dehydration, tachycardia, and heart attack sound to you? Or how about fat malabsorption, which can lead to deficiencies of fat soluble vitamins- vitamins A, D, E, and K?! Gallstones and kidneys stones anyone? Or perhaps failing a drug test at work because your diet pill contains amphetamines? These are just some of the problems you will find with contaminated diet pills, along with seizures, GI problems, food drug interactions and food allergies.
If you are looking at supplements or diet pills that state any of the following on the bottle, just toss it:
- Promises of an “easy” fix for problems like excess weight, hair loss, or impotency.
- Claims such as “scientific breakthrough,” “miraculous cure,” “secret ingredient,” and “ancient remedy.”
- Impressive-sounding terms, such as “hunger stimulation point” and “thermogenesis” for a weight loss product.
- Claims that the product is safe because it is “natural.”
If you are trying to lose weight, your best bet is the good old-fashioned method of working hard and cleaning up your plate. Your body will not burn fat if it is constantly being starved. Do you need help putting together a nutrition and training plan to help you see results? That’s what I am here for and would love to help you reach your goals in a safe and effective manner. Click here to schedule a FREE no obligation consultation!
Stay safe and healthy!
Sean Vander Veer RD, LD