Warm Beet Salad
Yields 4 servings (2 cups each)
- 8 Cups lettuce
- 2 cups steamed beet wedges, or slices 1/2 -1” thick (see tip)
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄4 tsp salt 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- Place spinach in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, parsley and garlic and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Add beets, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the beets are heated through, about 1 minute more. Add the beet mixture to the spinach and toss to combine. Serve warm.
TIPS & NOTES:
- Tip: how to prep and steam beets: Trim greens (if any) and root end; peel the skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut beets into 1⁄2-to 1-inch-thick cubes, wedges or slices.
- To steam on the stovetop; Place in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a large pot. Cover and steam over high heat until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- To steam in the microwave: Place in a glass baking dish, add 2 tablespoons water, cover tightly and microwave on high until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
NUTRITION: Calories 122; fat 5g (sat. 1g, mono. 4g); cholesterol 0g; carbohydrates 17g, fiber 4g; protein 4g
Want more recipes like this one? This is a featured recipe from ENP’s newest “RD Approved” cookbook: Healthy Living, available September 15th, 2014! Email us to pre-order your e-book copy: email@example.com.